Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Guest Designer Di Garling

We're thrilled to have the super talented Di Garling, winner of our March Challenge, with us today!


Hi there! My name is Di Garling and I am from Australia. I own and run a scrapbook shop in Australia where I teach both scrapbooking and cardmaking and also do most of the design work. I am Design Team Coordinator for 2 Crafty Chipboard, as well as “Scrap Around the World” & “Heart & Soul” challenge blogs. All of this keeps me extremely busy but I wouldn’t have it any other way. My style is ever evolving, I adore color and texture, I love mixed media and I always pay great attention to detail. I hope you enjoy my work.



 
I have used this adorable picture of my new baby Granddaughter, Mia. The challenge this month is to include some handmade flowers. I have made five different flowers for my layout and I have also included a couple of store-bought flowers as well.



The orange flower (right) I made using cardstock, a Spellbinders die and some stamens for the center. I think the secret to making it look like a purchased flower was to use lots of layers, curling the edges, and then adding the stamens for a touch of realism.



For this cluster I have made three different flowers. First, the orange flower on the left, is created with another Spellbinders die. I curled all the petals, but on this one I added touches of glue to the stamens, as well as the middle, and then I sprinkled gold micro beads which naturally stuck to the glue. I was really happy with how this flower turned out.

The second flower I made in this cluster is the pink one, which I made by cutting out petals from pink paper and from pink netting. Next, I alternated the paper and netting petals to create the bloom. I thought the netting added a little something extra. Again I finished off the flower with a few stamens in the middle.



The third flower in this cluster (bottom pink) was simply made from a length of pink netting that I twisted in a circular fashion and simply stuck down onto a circle of cardstock, making sure that the card is not visible. Too easy!



The last handmade flower on my layout is this rose in the bottom corner. Again I used a Spellbinders die, this time with some orange cardstock. I inked the edges of the cardstock in a different shade of orange, glued it together and then rolled all the edges to make it look like a real rose. To finish it off, I wiped a bit of Stickles randomly over the edges for a bit of added sparkle.
I would like to thank Berry71Bleu for inviting me to be their guest!
I hope you have enjoyed my layout too. 

*All of the chipboard on my layout, is from 2 Crafty Chipboard.*
 Please visit my blog to see more of my work: http://discreativespace.blogspot.com.au/
 


There are still a couple of hours left to join our challenge this month! We have such great prizes!

This month we challenge you to create a project using handmade flowers!

There must be at least ONE homemade flower on your project.
 This challenge is not limited to a scrapbook page - think canvas, home decor, headbands, anything your creative mind can dream up! There are hundreds of flower tutorials out there for flowers made out of paper, felt, cloth, twine, burlap, coffee filters, etc. For links to all of the flower tutorials pictured above, and many more, see Tracey's Pintrest page here.
First Prize:
Studio Shirel Pop & Colours Workshop

Second Prize:
Studio Shirel Pop & Colors #2 Workshop


3rd Prize:
Darkroom Door Paper Collection 


Sponsors:

Pop and Colours Workshop #1 - Art of Background 
Six weeks of workshops with step-by-step detailed examples and videos! Do you like to play with inks? Dirty hands, paint in the hair and stains on the apron don’t scare you? Then this workshop is for you! Whatever your style, learn how to create backgrounds very personal using the techniques presented in this workshop! I requested internationally famous guests who will share their secrets for making scrapbook pages from A to Z. Each week two different step-by-step (videos or photos and written explanations) will be presented. Each week, icing on the cake, sample pages created by the various artists using each technique will be shared. These examples will show you that the techniques are adaptable to all styles! The workshop will focus on scrapbooking pages, but the techniques are obviously suitable for other media (Art Journal, Project Life, mini-album, canvas Mixed Media etc.). There is no time limit to subscribe to the workshop and it will be available for a period of one year from the beginning of the workshop (ie 18 October 2014).

Pop and Colours Workshop #2 - Around the World
10 weeks of workshops in video! Did you like Pop and Colours Workshop #1 - Art of Background and you want more? Well...we do have more! Pop and Colours # 2 - Around the World is based on the same principle. Our team of renown international artists will share their secrets for making scrapbook pages through exclusive videos! Different styles will share the spotlight: freestyle, shabby, mixed media or graphic style, you will find types for all tastes! Class started on January 3, 2014 and all the content will be available for a whole year. You can join us at anytime within this year!




Darkroom Door is owned by photographer Rachel Greig and graphic designer Stewart Yule who combine their talents to design a unique range of rubber stamps and papercraft products suitable for card making, scrapbooking, invitations, collage, mixed media and altered art. As the name suggests, Darkroom Door products have a strong photographic element in their design. Products include: Rubber Stamps, Photo Stamps, Background Stamps, Frame Stamps, Collage Stamps, Word Block Stamps, Montage Sheets, Photochips, and Filmstrips along with a wide range of accessories for all type of paper crafts.
 
Darkroom Door also has a fabulous blog that is updated regularly with projects created by many talented artists. Check out the Darkroom Door website to see their full product range along with a gallery full of projects and ideas!

Design Team Sponsors


We're a US based company who has recently changed directions and moved to chipboard embellishments! Our designs are fresh, new and on trend. We pride ourselves in the quality of our chip and our dedication to the trade. With our passion for paper crafts and our knowledge of industry we can safely say you'll love our goods and their high quality!



We are a team of creative women who cannot image their world without paper, glue and the creative process. Scrapbooking is our passion and we love to share our passion with other scrapbookers. For this reason, 7 Dots Studio exists. The quality of our products is our top priority. Our collections are made from thick (250gsm), acid-free, lignin-free, archival scrapbooking paper. We also offer high quality cardstock stickers.

Please note that if the winner(s) of this challenge are international they will be responsible for shipping costs.

Make sure you follow our CHALLENGE RULES.

2 comments:

  1. Wowsers Di, you never fail to create a page that is beautiful, colourful and detailed! So love your work...
    The blooms you made are amazing and I really love them....Just fabulous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di this is a stunning page. I so love the colours and as always you attention to detail is exquisite. Every time you do a new page I have a new fav and again I have a new fav. I always look forward to seeing a new page by you so I can have my socks knocked off all over again xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments! We really appreciate you stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...